Andrew Berlin – On Vision
I sat down with Andrew Berlin, Chairman and CEO of Berlin Packaging to learn about vision and as always happens when I sit down with Andrew, I learned so much more.
I visited Andrew in his offices for this first interview and his collaborative nature immediately showed itself. Andrew was finishing a meeting with Jeremy Lagomarsino, Berlin Packaging’s brilliant Executive VP of Business Development and Strategy, when off the cuff the three of us decided to have Jeremy join us for the discussion. I’m glad we did, because as provocative as Andrew is, when you put a microphone in front of both of these innovators the real world lessons of success, leadership, and innovation can’t help but reveal themselves.
I wanted to learn from Andrew about his views on the importance of crafting a compelling vision, how to do this in the disruptive world we find ourselves in, and what he sees as he peers into the future. We got that and so much more in this 30 minute conversation including how the Berlin leadership team connects vision, strategy and execution.
And…why Andrew believes it all starts with Fantasy.
In this 29 minute episode Andrew, Jeremy and I discuss:
- Why vision is critical to innovation
- Andrew’s belief that every goal and objectives begins with a fantasy
- How execution integrates with strategy and vision
- Andrew’s vision that grew the company from $69 million to $1.43 billion
- How to manage around scarcity.
- How to get your employee’s “All In”
- How a team comes to stand together – shoulder to shoulder
- How Andrew used the story of Camelot to articulate his vision
- How to craft compelling narratives
- How to lead through volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity
- How crystal clear communication up and down the supply chain helps cut through the clutter of a complex world.
- Why it’s important to be intensely dissatisfied with the status quo
- The importance of listening to the customer to define your future
The Show Notes
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
- Andrew Berlin 2014 UnleashWD Keynote – Immediately available to members of free UnleashWD Online Community
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Berlin Packaging Podcast Series
- Episode 2 – Berlin Packaging Proves That Distribution Can Be Sexy: How To Build A Profitable Business Through A Culture Of Mutual Obligation
- Episode 3 – How Berlin Packaging Obliterates The Self Inflicted World Of Sameness Most Distributors Are Trapped In
- Episode 4 – How Berlin Packaging’s Business Model Has Returned Over $200 Million of EBITDA To Their Customers
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership That Redefines The Status Quo With Andrew Berlin
* Links provided as episodes are published.
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here