Andrew Berlin – On Culture
In this second discussion with Andrew Berlin and Jeremy Lagomarsino we focus on the importance of and the power of culture. How does a company in distribution – which I have been told numerous times is not a sexy business – attract and retain smart, engaged, energetic, ambitious employees who create superior results?
Andrew and Jeremy have figured it out. They have made distribution sexy while generating double digit compounded annual growth rates. They have created a culture that acts as a magnet for employees, customers, suppliers, and partners. Not through Silicon Valley type ping pong tables, free massages, or beer bashes. But through a tremendous track record, amazing opportunity in the future, willingness to invest, and clearly communicated mutual obligation.
Berlin’s unique, and importantly … consciously crafted culture is captured with their trademarked belief that Anything is Possible™ and their brilliant T-Chart which defines mutual obligations between the company and employee.
You don’t think distribution is sexy? Your mind will be forever altered after listening to Andrew and Jeremy in this episode.
In this 29 minute episode Andrew, Jeremy and I discuss:
- What I said to Andrew that made him respond, “Those are fighting words Dirk.”
- What is required to attract smart, motivate, and ambitious employees.
- Why psychological contracts with your employees are critical to great communication and predictability of expected behaviors.
- Why and how Berlin Packaging measures employee thrill throughout the organization.
- Why employee discontent often leads back to a gap in leadership.
- Behind the curtain examination of Berlin’s T-Chart which is woven throughout’s Berlin’s culture
- How Berlin defines the mutual obligation between the company and each employee
- The importance of defining first … what the company owe’s its employees, and then what can be asked of the employee in return.
- Why and how Berlin leadership crowdsourced within the organization the definition of it’s trademarked term Anything Is Possible™.
The Show Notes
- Berlin White Paper: People Power: Building a profitable business through human-resource excellence
- Berlin T-Chart
- Harvard Business Review – Culture Trumps Strategy Everytime
- Fast Company – Culture Eats Strategy For Lunch
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
- Andrew Berlin 2014 UnleashWD Keynote – Immediately available to members of free UnleashWD Online Community
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Berlin Packaging Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – How Vision, Fantasy, and Execution Grew Berlin Packaging From $69 Million To $1.43 Billion
- Episode 3 – How Berlin Packaging’s Obliterates The Self Inflicted World Of Sameness Most Distributors Are Trapped In
- Episode 4 – How Berlin Packaging’s Business Model Has Returned Over $250 Million of EBITDA Back To Their Customers
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership That Redefines The Status Quo With Andrew Berlin
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here