L.T. Gibson and his leadership team have developed a business model with a foundation to remain relevant and sustainable in this age of disruption.
While for many the fog of uncertainty leads to paralysis, this uncertainty is viewed by the CEO of US LBM as an opportunity. From his point of view US LBM leadership is actually very happy that the future is a little gray and a little cloudy.
Rather than having the pressure of predicting the future and having the ability to correctly say ‘this is what our industry looks like in 2030’, they have built a unique model and culture that says they can change at a faster rate than anybody else.
“I think it’s exciting that we don’t know exactly what the next great technology is going to be or the next great game changer.” L.T. Gibson
The reason L.T. and the other leaders created US LBM, was not to fit a model of a particular day and time. they strive to create a business model that allows for embracing the unknown. Embracing disruption.
Do yourself a favor. Be sure to listen to this episode through to the end. The very last thing L.T. and I talk about is when I ask him about where his optimism comes from. His short answer is truly the secret sauce for creating a relevant and sustainable business in the age of disruption.
In this 31 minute episode L.T. and I discuss:
- Why distributors need to reinvent their business models
- How to use the cloudiness of the future as an opportunity
- The ability to change as a competitive advantage
- Is Distribution As We Know It Dead?
- The differentiating US LBM business model & why it starts with its corporate structure
- Why this billion dollar plus business has no corporate office
- How to not only get your people to buy into change – but to have them drive that change
- How to look at your business differently despite having worked in the industry for your entire career
- How to obliterate legacy thinking
- The critical importance of investing in the future
- Why you must invest for results AND learning
- He who owns the data, owns the supply chain
- The role optimism plays in creating your future
The Show Notes
- L.T. Gibson
- U.S. LBM
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part U.S. LBM Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – Setting Out To Change An Industry – The Power of Vision
- Episode 2 – Culture at the epicenter of change … and meaning at US LBM
- Episode 3 – Creating A Compelling Value Proposition – A Holistic Approach
- Episode 5 – Leading in an age where the traditional management structures must be rethought (Monday July 6)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here