Joe Nettemeyer, the president and CEO of industrial distributor Valin Corporation believes that culture is the great differentiator in business today. But beyond platitudes he works to nurture the needed culture everyday.
And what is that needed culture? It’s one of WE.
As he says the successful organizations figure out how to get past me to we. They get past the individual contribution to the collective contribution acknowledging the difficulty of the challenge because inherently we as human beings are selfish.
“I saw a culture of people coming work to make a lot of money. They didn’t come to create a lot of money.” Joe Nettemeyer
Creating a culture of WE is a continuous process, successfully built when you bring people into the organization who grasp the importance of that culture and who become the avid advocates of the culture.
In this deep deep conversation, Joe shows us the way.
In this 35 minute episode Joe and I discuss:
- Why culture is the great differentiator
- Moving the culture from me to we
- The challenges of culture creation in an acquisition company
- Long term thinking trumps short term thinking in a culture of we
- Why many companies are no different than they were five years ago
- Why strong cultures continuously reinforce fundamentals
- Evolving a culture of entitlement to one of ownership
- Why your culture must help your employees discover their true potential
- The individual’s role in creating value
- The process of building culture
The Show Notes
- Valin Corporation
- Valin Corporation featured on Discovery Channel series “Innovations”
- Q&A With Joe Nettemeyer in Industrial Distribution Magazine
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Joe Nettemeyer Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – Average Is Over – A Call For Innovation
- Episode 3 – Your Future Is Defined By What Your Organization Stands For (July 27)
- Episode 4 – Business Model Innovation (August 3)
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership (August 10)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here