Andrew Berlin – On Value Proposition
Most distributors, most businesses are viewed as commodities being stuck in a world of sameness. They have a “me too” strategy rather than a value proposition that says “follow me.”
Berlin Packaging is different.
Berlin’s employees have grown their business from $69 million to $1.43 billion by designing an innovative value proposition that stands alone in the industry and acts as a magnet for customers, suppliers, and partners.
In this third discussion with Berlin Packaging’s Andrew Berlin, Chairman and CEO and Jeremy Lagomarsino, Executive VP of Business Development and Strategy, literally open their value proposition playbook for you.
As Andrew points out at the very end of the episode – what’s discussed in these 31 minutes is not theory. It’s very real. During the last 10 years, during the worst recession of our lifetime, Berlin Packaging – implementing what they openly share here, has been able to achieve a 22.6% compounded annual growth rate in an industry that’s grown only about 2% a year.
Tired of being commoditized? Then take the insights Andrew and Jeremy share in this episode to unlock your unfair competitive advantage.
In this 31 minute episode Andrew, Jeremy and I discuss:
- Why most distributors are caught in a self inflicted world of sameness.
- Why emotion (rather than what you do) is the ultimate way of differentiating your company.
- What combination of deliverables create the ultimate value proposition.
- How to grow the fastest while creating terrific sustained earnings.
- What P.O.K.E.R. has to do with creating a compelling value proposition.
- Why this packaging distributor is not in the business of selling packaging.
- The mindset required to change an industry.
- How owning a position of thought leadership in your industry creates closer relationships with your customers.
- Why you must go beyond customer satisfaction to create customer thrill.
- How to create customer thrill
- How to design the customer experience
The Show Notes
- Berlin White Paper: Improving the Customer Experience – Going Beyond Satisfaction to Deliver Thrill
- Simon Sinek TED Talk – How Great Leaders Inspire Action (Start With Why)
- The Ultimate Question 2.0
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
- Andrew Berlin 2014 UnleashWD Keynote – Immediately available to members of free UnleashWD Online Community
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Berlin Packaging Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – How Vision, Fantasy, and Execution Grew Berlin Packaging From $69 Million To $1.43 Billion
- Episode 2 – Berlin Packaging Proves That Distribution Can Be Sexy: How To Build A Profitable Business Through A Culture Of Mutual Obligation
- Episode 4 – How Berlin Packaging’s Business Model Has Returned Over $250 Million of EBITDA To Their Customers
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership That Redefines The Status Quo With Andrew Berlin
* Links provided as episodes are published.
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here